Having a lack of self-confidence or low self-esteem can affect nearly all areas of your life. It can affect you while out with friends while giving a presentation and while meeting new people, to name but a few. Confidence issues can be brought about for many different reasons and over time they become so commonplace that we just expect them to happen. If you are dealing with confidence issues at the moment you will understand just how it can affect your life and sometimes even stop you from doing things that you really want to. Some people allow it so it affects them in getting a promotion or meeting new people. I have met people that still haven’t found a husband or wife in their 40’s as they say that they are just too shy. I have put together a list of some of the tips that I give to my clients to help them regain their confidence.
- Surround yourself with positivity- Positive, enthusiastic and passionate people, are contagious. Surround yourself with them and allow their confidence to brush off on you. By being around positive people we will learn how they confidently deal with things in their life that would throw us off course.
- Create a new image- This is a fantastic tip that will leave you feeling great. Go out and get a whole new image that oozes with confidence, new clothes, new hairstyle or better posture. When you have this new image you can act up to it with confidence and allow the new you to be born.
- Watch what you say to yourself- We all talk to ourselves as we think about things. We say things like, ‘Oh I can’t afford that!’ This type of inner talk can be quite negative as it closes our mind to finding a solution. Instead saying something like, ‘How could I afford that’, allows you to use your brain for thinking and ultimately finding a solution.
- Make a change Move career, house or make new friends. If you find that an element of your life is causing you to lack confidence – change it! Remember though that you set the limit on what is impossible, so open up your mind and consciously decide what you can and can’t do rather than just relying on your emotions to make these decisions for you.
I hope that you put this small collection of tips to good use and get the confidence that you deserve and desire. Next up, we will have a look at Self Esteem. For you to have confidence in yourself, you need a great amount of Self Esteem, or what I call it: Self Worth.
4 Simple Steps To Conquer Self Esteem
You can win the battle over low self-esteem with these 4 simple steps…
Affirmations are simply positive things that you say out loud to yourself every day. This can be very difficult at times because you may not actually believe what you are saying. SO why would you say something to yourself that you don’t believe?
Increased self-esteem has to start with you. So, if you are shy and intimidated by people, start to say something like the following: I am NOT shy and I am NOT intimidated by people. I am VERY confident when I get around people.
Repeat this to yourself out loud at least 10 times before you leave your room. When you say this, don’t just mumble it either, say it as many times as necessary until you say it with passion and conviction.
- Read to grow
Again, increased self-esteem starts with you. Read something every day for at least 30 minutes that will help you increase your self-esteem. This can be an article, a book, or even an audio series. The more you learn the more you will grow. The more you grow, the more your self-esteem will improve.
- Take action everyday
Do something every day, starting with something small, that directly deals with your low self-esteem. For instance, if you can’t talk with people because you feel insecure and inferior, just start off by saying ‘Hi’. As you get more comfortable with this, then start to make small talk. You will begin to feel more confident and more confident until one day, you will find that you have overcome low self-esteem in that area.
- Stop the negative thoughts
Negative thoughts are like landmines. As soon as you step out to face your fear, a negative thought comes and tells you that you can’t do it and BOOM; you believe it and lose that round. Instead, diffuse negative thoughts before they have a chance to do damage.
A great way to do this is with a rubber band! Put a rubber band around your wrist. Every time a thought comes into your head that tells you that you can’t, you will never succeed, you are a loser, or anything negative, SNAP the rubber band on your wrist.
You may be snapping that band until your wrist is red and sore. Before long though, you will stop the negative thoughts because you don’t want to hurt your wrist anymore.
These four steps will help you increase your self-esteem and become the person you really want to be. Just remember this: you are not going to change overnight. It will take time but as long as you are progressing, you are winning the war.